Marywood University
Liberal Arts Center, Room 220
Scranton, PA 18509
(570) 961-4581
Contact Us
Eligibility and Requirements
Study Abroad Policy
Types of Programs
Faculty Led Application Process
Semester Application Process
Frequently Asked Questions
Create Account
Student Gallery
ISIC Travel Card
For Faculty
Program Search
Program Type:
Program Country:
Program Term:

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the earliest semester I can study abroad?

The earliest you can study abroad for a semester is the second semester of your sophomore year. Note that some study abroad programs do require that you are in your junior year. 


Will I graduate on time if I study abroad?

There is no reason that you should not graduate on time if you have your courses approved and pass those courses abroad. This assumes that you have engaged in careful academic planning - figuring out which courses you need to take at Marywood prior to and after studying abroad. 


Will the classes I take abroad transfer back to Marywood?

As long as the classes you take abroad have been approved and you pass them with at least the equivalent of a “C”, the credits earned will transfer.


Do I need a Passport to study abroad?

A valid passport is necessary to travel abroad. It is important to note that your passport's expiration date must be for a date at least six (6) months after the date you plan to return to the United States. This is a requirement of the U.S. State Department and is being vigorously enforced.


Do I need to speak another language in order to study abroad?

No, you do not need to speak another language in order to study abroad. There are many study abroad sites in non-English speaking countries that teach their courses in English. There are some destinations that do require you to speak the host country language.


What grade-point average do I need in order to study abroad?

You generally need at least a 3.0 gpa in order to study abroad for a semester program.


Will the grades I earn abroad be calculated into my GPA?

The only grades earned abroad that are used in calculating your GPA are courses led and taught by Marywood faculty members. All other study abroad program grades are not factored into your GPA.


Can Pre-Physician Assistant program students study abroad?

Pre-Physician Assistant students may study abroad. You should consult with both your Academic Advisor as well as the Department Chairperson before making your plans. 



Can Nursing students study abroad?

It is critically important that Nursing students meet with their advisor during their freshman year to plan their Nursing coursework prior to and upon return from studying abroad. The Nursing Department has devised a very specific schedule for Nursing students. If you are a Nursing student who wishes to study abroad during a summer or intersession, then the planning is not quite so critical.


Can I study abroad if I am a transfer student?

You may study abroad if you have completed at least 60 credits with at least 15 credits in residence at Marywood.


How long can I study abroad?

You may study abroad for a semester, several weeks in the summer, or as short as a week to 10 days on a Marywood University faculty led study abroad program. Most students tend to study abroad for one semester.


How much does it cost to study abroad?

When calculating the costs of studying abroad, there are a number of factors to consider. You will be paying for tuition, room, board, travel, books, personal expenses etc.: much as you would here at Marywood University. If you study abroad for a semester or an academic year, your tuition will be the same as it is here at Marywood. 

The costs of living and traveling will vary depending on where you are planning to go. Generally speaking, room and board costs are not any more than they are here at Marywood.  


Can I use my financial aid and scholarships when I study abroad? 

Yes, you may use your financial aid and scholarship for studying abroad as long as you study abroad during the academic year – a fall or spring semester. If you have more specific questions regarding financial aid and studying abroad please contact the Financial Aid Office.


When do you apply for studying abroad?

Application to study abroad should begin during the semester prior to studying abroad. Generally speaking, the application deadline for spring semester and intersession abroad is October 15th and the application deadline for the summer session, fall semester or academic year abroad is March 31st. You will complete two applications: one for Marywood and one for the university or program abroad.


Do I need a passport or visa to study abroad?

You will need a current passport in order to study abroad, regardless of destination. Be sure that your passport is valid for your time abroad and extending at least six (6) months after the date you plan to return. In some instances you will also be required to secure a student visa which gives you permission to have an extended stay in your host country. Visa requirements vary from country to country.


Will I need to have immunizations or vaccinations in order to study abroad?

There are some study abroad destinations that require you have certain vaccinations or immunizations. The International Programs and Services Office recommends that you review the travel medicine recommendations on the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website: Traveler's Health.


Can students study in more than one country?

Students can and have studied abroad in more than one country. While it is not all that common, some students will study in two different countries over two different semesters to develop specific linguistic abilities. It is important to begin planning such an experience as soon as possible.


How many credits can I earn while studying abroad?

You are required to take a minimum of 12 credits for a semester abroad and 3 credits for a summer session abroad. Some study abroad programs allow students to take as many as 18 credits. On average, Marywood University students take 15 credits during the course of a semester abroad. Please note:  Any student studying abroad taking more than 18 credits during the semester will be charged an extra per credit charge as indicated on Marywood's Cashier's website: Financial Facts current year.


Can all majors study abroad?

Students from all majors may study abroad. To a certain extent, your major will determine how long and where you can study abroad. Some majors may find it easier to study abroad during the summer or spring faculty led program. If your major is highly structured you might find that you are limited to studying in countries that offer courses in your major in order to stay on track to graduate.


What happens if I get sick abroad?

All students are enrolled in a health insurance plan prior to departing the United States. The health insurance policy grants access to a network of physicians and health care professionals as well as clinics and hospitals at your study abroad destination. In the event you require emergency medical evacuation, the insurance plan covers the evacuation. 


Where do I live when I study abroad?

Your residence abroad will depend on where you are studying. Some students reside with families and other live in residence halls or student apartments.


What kinds of classes can I take abroad?

The classes you wind up taking abroad are determined in part by your major and your academic planning. For the most part, students take courses that count as electives and are not taught at Marywood. Students may also take courses in their major.


Can I work while I am studying abroad?

In most study abroad destinations it will be illegal for you to work without a permit. Marywood does not recommend that you work while abroad. If you are working illegally, the penalties of being caught can be stiff; it isn’t worth the risk.


Marywood University Marywood University Study Abroad