Marywood University
Liberal Arts Center, Room 220
Scranton, PA 18509
(570) 961-4581
Contact Us
Eligibility and Requirements
Types of Programs
Study Abroad Policy
Semester Application Process
Faculty Led Application Process
Create Account
Frequently Asked Questions
Student Gallery
ISIC Travel Card
For Faculty
Program Search
Program Type:
Program Country:
Program Term:

Study Abroad Eligibility and Requirements

Passport - Important Notice
  • Passport expiration date MUST be at least six (6) months after the date of your return trip to the United States.


  • Typically students studying abroad for a semester may take from 12-18 credits.
  • During the summer, students usually take 3 or 6 credits during their period abroad.
  • Any student taking more than 18 credits will pay a per credit charge for any credits over 18. These charges can be found on Marywood's Cashier page under Financial Facts per current year. This policy is for students both studying abroad for the semester and those on short term faculty led programs.


  • Marywood University requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
  • Some programs may require a GPA of 2.75 to 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. It is at the discretion of the partner institution to deviate from the requirements and any appeals must be made first through the Associate Director for the Office of International Affairs and then the respective partnering institution.
  • Students on academic and/or disciplinary probation may not participate in any MU study abroad programs.
  • Student must attain grades equivalent to at least a C to transfer credit back to Marywood University.


  • Students must be equal to or greater than a sophomore in the spring semester to study abroad for a full semester. Faculty led programs offer an exception to this rule.
  • A student must be at least 18 years of age to participate in any study abroad program.

Online Application and Completion of Forms

  • Students are required to Create an Account on the Marywood University Study Abroad website:
  • Application and Disciplinary Approval forms must be completed to be considered for approval for study abroad.
  • Some programs require that the student request that the Registrar’s Office forward a copy of their current transcript to the International Affairs Office..These programs will note the requirement as part of the application process.
  • Upon approval, the student must complete all required Enrollment forms including:
    • Transfer of Credit Pre-Approval  (except in cases where the classes have already been approved by the department)
    • Agreement/Release Liability form
    • Copy of Passport
    • Copy of Travel Itinerary
  • An Intent to Study Abroad form must be completed with the Associate Director for International Affairs and submitted to the Financial Aid Office if student plans to use their financial aid funding for study abroad


  • Students applying to study abroad agree to permit the Study Abroad office to review their Academic record, particularly in regards to their GPA; and also to share each student's intent to study abroad with the Dean of Students, Office of Student Health Services and the Counseling & Human Development Center. 


  • A student studying abroad for a full semester is required to pay Marywood's prevailing tuition, housing, general & study abroad fees, along with an international medical insurance premium.  He/she may use financial aid, including Marywood scholarship to help cover these costs.
  • Scholarship money may only be used for one semester abroad.
  • Any student who has been under a probationary period at Marywood before commencing study abroad, will do so under a "zero tolerance" policy, whereby the student can expect to be immediately dismissed from the abroad program for any infraction of rules, thus negating their student visa. The student must return to the U.S. immediately and will not be reimbursed for expenses incurred.


Marywood University Marywood University Study Abroad